Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Hands of the Day

I put in about 3-4 hours of cash game play before I noticed myself getting bored and clicking cashier to see how much I was up/down which is always an indicator that I'm going to start either playing way too loose or way too tight. Couple cool hands today, that I don't have the histories from because I played on mom's computer and Windows Vista is beat.

I ran really well today. I flatted an UTG raise with QQ, flopped a set and stacked AA. Called another raise from a tight player with 99, flopped a set and stacked KK which didn't even turn a flush draw or anything like that. Just the way I like it, easy. Also I hit 3 combo draws in a row, the 15+ out variety which I have missed every single one for the past month, which really felt spectacular despite not getting heavily paid off on any of them.

Also, I was trying to start some $1/2 9man Limit HE games to autopilot while I played NL, I played heads up with a guy for about 7 hands before he took $15 and split from me. Then at the other table a guy sat down and quickly took $10 off me and sat out. To which I said "wise decision, gl when the table fills up". Apparently that worked as he sat back down with me for about 50 hands which I ran super hot and took $40 off him.

I didn't start off so great though, very early into my session playing at a 6max .25/.50 NL table I was dealt AdKd, I didn't have any table experience with anybody before, but it was obvious that the player in the BB was awful.

The UTG player raises to $1.75 and I elect to call in the cutoff with AKs. I want to keep the guy in the bb around and use my position over the other guy. Both the small and big blinds call.

Flop is Qd 8d 2d

SB checks
BB bets $2
UTG calls $2
I sit on it and call $2
SB folds

Turn is Qc
BB bets $2
UTG calls $2

What's going on? BB is probably harmless and I would love to get all in vs his remaining 30-40BB stack. The UTG player who made the raise preflop however has just elected to call two small bets rather than raise on two consecutive streets. Is he really weak, really strong, or really worried?

I raise to $9
BB folds
UTG raises to $20

Hmm that was unexpected... Unless he has QQ or 88, I've got him beat. If he's got a flush it's probably with two smaller suited connectors. If I reraise him here he might fold a small flush which I don't want. If he's got AQ, KQ, or QJ he has a 25% chance to beat me on the river. If I make the call the pot swells to about $45 and have $32 left behind. If he bets out big on the river I have a tough decision to make, if he bets out small I'm flat calling, if he checks I'm shoving.

I call $11.

River is Kc
UTG checks fairly quickly
I bet $32

after he thinks for about 40 seconds I'm very pleased with myself that he might call with AQ or a smaller flush until he calls with 88 for 8s full. I don't know maybe the river shove was incorrect.

At the same table about a half hour later I made a big laydown. I had JT in the bb. The guy who plays very poorly raises, the guy that took the seat of the guy who stacked me in the AK hand flat calls after playing snugly for a couple of rounds and has 100bbs in front, I call in the bb.

Flop is TT3.
I check.
Fish bets $2.
New guy raises to $4.
I was going to check raise the fish but unless this new guy unlikely slowplayed AA-JJ preflop or is making some goofy isolation raise after seeing the fish make his standard continuation bet, he's either got AT, KT, or 33.

I call $4. Now my hand is practically face up to anybody who's ever played NLHE before.

Turn is 4.
I check
Fish checks
New guy bets pot, which covers the fish.
I fold.
Fish calls.

KK vs 33, 33 holds up to win the pot. And probably could have won a lot more money off me than he did, but you can't fault the guy for getting the live drawing hand out and the close to dead one in.

1 comment:

  1. Last time I did that (same hand, virtually), the guy rivered his set. 200 BB deep. Good grind

    ReplyDelete